Monday 8 February 2010

New Techniques...

I've been working on combining the two elements of my work- articulation and form and I have found a new technique of sewing the squares of plywood between two pieces of fabric. It does mean a lot of laborious pritt-sticking but I think it may be slightly more conventional than sewing along the horizontal lines and threading in each plywood square.
The squared background print that will be part of the final design is the guideline for sticking on the squares, ensuring each on has a slight gap between to allow for sewing space.
I started off wanting to make a whole apron but it has turned out to be more of a pouch that could possibly be attached to an apron with poppers/ribbon.
I bent 3 laminated pieces of ply into a slight curved shape in the vacuum packing machine. I then glued this onto the fabric between two areas of plywood squares. The next stage is to cover it with another piece of fabric and machine stitch between the squares.








No comments: