Friday 19 February 2010

Mini Apron

I wanted to make a piece that combines all the techniques and processes used so far, adapting some of them to create a functional and wearable item. With my new technique of sticking the squares of plywood onto the fabric before stitching it is a lot easier to create bigger pieces of the fabric. I started my design with the generic full apron shape and I drew the basic shape onto a piece of squared screen printed fabric. I wanted to start small so as not to waste any fabric or plywood just in case the laser cutting machine wouldn't do exactly what I wanted! I then transferred this design into illustrator ready for the laser cutter. It took a while to work out how to get the plywood squares in line with the screen printed squares on the fabric but I eventually worked it out and the laser cutting machine got to work.





I then stuck the broken shape onto the fabric, lining up the squares with the squares of the fabric.

The next stage was to stitch between all the pieces of plywood...


No comments: